WAYNE â€” The Pompton Lakes and Waldwick baseball teams were the only two in Bergen or Passaic counties to brave the elements today by playing a state tournament game.
Second-seeded Pompton Lakes beat seventh-seeded Waldwick, 11-1, in a game that ended after five innings due to the NJSIAAâ€™s 10-run rule.
Senior right-hander Sean Lindberg threw a three-hitter and lifted a three-run homer over the right-field fence at Passaic Tech to lead the Cardinals. Senior shortstop Connor Lavin also hit a three-run homer for the Cardinals, who secured their second straight 20-win season.
Playing today helped Pompton Lakes avoid having to play its two most important games of the season in what wouldâ€™ve been an extremely rare doubleheader Saturday.
That, unfortunately, is the unusual situation in which Wayne Valley finds itself.
The Indiansâ€™ North 1, Group 4 quarterfinal against Ridgewood was postponed from today until Saturday. That game will be played at 10 a.m. at DePaul.
Wayne Valleyâ€™s players and coaches will then make the short, four-mile trip from DePaul to Passaic Tech, where the second-seeded Indians will play third-seeded Pompton Lakes in a Passaic County semifinal set for 3:30 p.m. The first Passaic County semifinal, which will pit fifth-seeded Wayne Hills against top-seeded Lakeland, still will be played at 1 p.m. Saturday at Passaic Tech.
â€œThat could very difficult, especially on a catcher, whoâ€™s got to squat for two games,â€ Pompton Lakes coach Paul Tanis said. â€œIf it doesnâ€™t go well for them in the first game, will they be able to re-focus? I think they will. Theyâ€™re a good enough team to do that. But if they do real well [against Ridgewood], that could carry them into the next game. Itâ€™s a double-edged sword, I guess.â€
Below is our updated schedule for all the other state tournament games that were not played today due to the rain.
NORTH 1, GROUP 1
(6) Cedar Grove vs. (3) Emerson, 11 a.m.
(5) Hasbrouck Heights at (4) New Milford, Saturday, 4 p.m.
NORTH 2, GROUP 1
(10) Secaucus at (2) Ridgefield, 4 p.m.
NORTH 1, GROUP 2
(5) Hawthorne at (4) Pequannock, 1 p.m.
(15) Pascack Hills at (10) Westwood, 1 p.m.
(8) Ramsey at (1) Mahwah, TBA
(6) Glen Rock at (3) Newton, 2 p.m.
NORTH 2, GROUP 2
(8) Hackettstown at (1) Lyndhurst, 2 p.m.
(14) Parsippany at (6) Garfield, 1:30 p.m.
(7) West Essex at (2) Rutherford, 2 p.m.
NORTH 1, GROUP 3
(12) Mount Olive vs. (4) Demarest, 11 a.m.
(16) Ramapo vs. (9) Teaneck, 2 p.m.
(11) River Dell at (3) Paramus, 2 p.m.
(15) Northern Highlands at (7) Sparta, noon
NORTH 1, GROUP 4
(8) Ridgewood vs. (1) Wayne Valley, 10 a.m.
(13) Clifton at (12) Memorial of West New York, 11 a.m.
NORTH NON-PUBLIC A
At Kennedy Park, Lodi
(9) Don Bosco vs. (8) Paramus Catholic, 7:30 p.m.
(10) DePaul at (7) Pope John, 2 p.m.